Monday, February 24, 2014

Rainbow Patch Baby Quilt

Rainbow Patch Scrappy Baby Quilt by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

After patiently waiting for me to tie up some loose ends over the past few months, this little baby quilt finally came out of the Work In Progress basket yesterday. So many times I leave something unfinished for weeks on end when it would only take an hour or two to wrap up the project, and this was definitely one of those cases. I am so glad to have this quilt done at last!

Rainbow Patch Scrappy Baby Quilt by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

When I make a project for little ones, I try to pull in as much color and visual interest as I can. This quilt ended up being a sort of scrappy rainbow -- hence the name -- and I love that it also works as an I-Spy quilt. I pulled out a lot of my favorite fabric designers for this one: Heather Ross, Lizzy House, Anna Maria Horner, and so on. There are also quite a few alphabet prints mixed in there too for fun.

Rainbow Patch Scrappy Baby Quilt by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

The quilt is backed in a red and white dot print by Bonnie and Camille and is bound in a black and white Heath print from Alexander Henry. I wanted to have a black based print to frame the colorful quilt top, and this sketchy fabric makes a perfect binding. I used a zig zag stitch on my machine to make some randomly spaced wavy lines across the quilt, so much fun for little fingers to trace.

Rainbow Patch Scrappy Baby Quilt by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

Baby quilts are always such a joy to sew. I love to pray for the new mommy and baby as I make a quilt that I know will be a part of both their lives. It also brings back so many memories of holding my three daughters when they were newborns. As difficult as those early years were -- and they were tough! -- I will never forget the wonder of snuggling my cheek against their soft little baby faces. This quilt will be winging its way across the ocean to my sweet friend Jodi in Australia tomorrow, and all my love goes with it.

20 comments:

  1. Love that you put so many interesting fabrics in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is wonderful . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable and totally deserving of such a good home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright and fun! All of your fabric choices are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh WOW! Heidi! It's ADORABLE! I just love it. And it takes the pressure off me to finish mine before the baby comes! I can so relate to putting something aside to be finished quickly weeks later. But I think that makes the finish more fun and satisfying. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you. (I just realised I didn't actually say that in my comment!) THANK you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so adorable Heidi! I just love it!
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cuteness! Yes, little quilts are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute little baby quilt! I love the fabrics and what a good idea to try the zig-zag stitching for the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this quilt, the fabrics are just the best...so cute. It's so great to be able to spot all the goings on :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is adorable! So happy and scrappy. Would you mind if I 'borrowed' your idea?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heidi how do you make this, I cant figure out with all the uneven blocks.. dumb question I know.. I love scrappy.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! So bright and colorful and fun! Perfect for a baby quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is certainly a cute quilt. I like to use I-Spy fabrics in the baby quilts I make also.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an absolutely adorable baby quilt! I love everything about this quilt. It is sure to be a treasured quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's certainly lots of colour and visual interest in this quilt. I love it! Very cute. I do the same thing, put things off when really they could be finished in a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...